Thursday, November 11, 2010

An Inconvenient Truth: "Knowledge is Power"

 Ernie Baron


"Knowledge is Power", three words, three powerful words that I really like. A motivational phrase to keep me studying. It is like "Oh my God". But last night, I found out that those three words did not come from him. He just got it from another guy that he might have liked when he was young. Maybe his idol. I think that he got that phrase from a guy from the renaissance period. My theory is that, he got the phrase from Francis Bacon.

 

Ernie Baron was my idol. I liked his ways of teachings. He was known for his great scientific intelligence in our country. He was first recognized as a radio man. He was the host of "Mga gintong aral" in the radio, in English, "The Golden Teachings". He was very smart. A lot of people who asked questions to him via radio were all answered. He's like the Wikipedia of the 90's in Philippines! Well, the story goes on, he became famous, became a weatherman, had his own episodes in T.V., a smart SMART person indeed. The only thing that he always said is the phrase "Knowledge is Power". I liked that. I studied hard when I was a kid because I wanted to be as smart as him, and as AWESOME as he was. But time cannot be stop. On the morning of January 23, 2006 at Muntinlupa, Baron suffered a myocardial infection  which led to his passing. It was sad, but I was a kid back then. I did not know what the heck what death meant. So I just moved on with my naive young life. Now that I remembered him, I really feel sad right now. Hehe, life is so random.

 

 

 

Francis Bacon 


As I was reading the book I came across to a guy named Francis Bacon. He was the GUY who started the phrase "Knowledge is Power." I think that he was the guy who Ernie Baron idolized, I guess. Well, BIOGRAPHY TIME PEOPLE! He was born in January 22 1561 near the strand in London. He was the son of Sir Nicholas Bacon and his second wife Anne (Cooke) Bacon- daughter of a noted Humanist, Anthony Cooke. A lot more can be learn about him in Wikipedia. But I want to point out something about him that lead him to say that phrase. He was born weak and studied at home. He really studied hard. And because of that, people recognized him and he started to meet a lot of people that made him more famous-er. I think because of knowledge he became famous, and powerful. SO, knowledge really is power!

 

What a bummer. And I thought that Mr. Baron was the first one who said that and made that phrase more famous. I don't blame him, Francis really was some guy back then. I guess idolizing people can be nice huh? Maybe if there is a chance someday, I want to have a conversation with this guys in a room and talk about that phrase; And talk about the other things behind that phrase. 

 

Random video of the day




There is a reason why I put this music in. If you know the answer, then write a comment. The funny thing about this is that- YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT IS READING THIS RIGHT NOW. *miserable laugh*

Sites: 

Ernie Baron's pro pic: http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Ernie-Baron

Francis Bacon: http://www.focusdep.com/images/Sir_Francis_Bacon_1167309733122883.jpg

 "Moonlight Over Paris" Paolo Santos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tGtFaNrzZM&feature=related

1 comment: