Sunday, March 13, 2011

Captured Thought: OOOOH! that's why


Go find it dude

"...If you would make me choose between the internet or the book, I will choose the book", why in God's name would he say that? I mean, the Internet has a vast amount of knowledge that was once unreachable by any man in the world! A book is so darn boring that I can't even stand sitting on my chair with a book on my hand, bright lights that surround me, and a distracted brain not knowing the big claims of the author- BECAUSE IT IS SOOO BOORING! Then comes a book name The Shallows: What the Hell is the Internet doing to our BRAIN. It made me think twice about the things that I appreciate toward the Internet, and, his answer.

The Shallows  by Nicholas Carr is a novel about how the internet affects our cognitive thinking and how it affect our plastic/physical brain itself. In the reading, he explained how we rely more on the fact that we use the Internet, Google, as a "becoming" primary source of knowledge more than our precious biological brain of ours. A useless brain is a dumb brain! To be honest, I use Google whenever I want to know a question in webassign rather than using the book to gather information. The thing that I notice is that, whenever I find the answer in the Net, for some reason, I would forget the answer or it's concept- The concept is what we are really looking for in Physics, which I am lacking of. I head to a different question and then search then next question then search then next question then search, AND THEN, when I finish my webassign I would get an A, but, did I learn something... No. Yes, yes, yes, I get an A to my webassing, but, at the day of the test, for some (not) MAGICAL reason, I sometimes (ALWAYS) get a low B- I am guilty in charge. But when I read a book, it totally helps man! When I was in Bio, even a half of an hour reading the book gave me a straight A! GEEZUS. Nicholas Carr explained that, when we kept on using our brain (exercising the brain) the brain becomes sharper and smarter, like what the book is helping our brain- it forces the brain to work out and be focus.

Another thing about the internet is that distractions around it. Nicholas Carr also explained that in the book; The fact that multimedia distracts us when we read an article in the Net takes us away from our reading, from our gathering of  knowledge/ideas. He post different quotes of psychologists in the book that made experiments involving people reading without and with multimedia/distraction. In the course of the experiment, people with multimedia moves away to the topic that they were assigned to, they some times click to links that, sometimes, doesn't have any relevance to the topic- other than that, some of the were checking out their  e-mail, facebook, skyping, but, a small percent in the group totally gets into the topic (which has a chance to counter the fact that multimedia really is a distraction). Furthermore, rather than moving away to our reading, we now read in a different way than we used to- we now read in an F pattern rather than reading in a linear way, from left to right. F is for fast but also fail. We read from left to right in the beginning, and then, we skim down and pretend that we now know what we have read. What the Hell was that man! Use your darn brain for God sake. I started to not learn anything when I read in that fashion, specially when I combine the multimedia and the "F" reading pattern.

I think that he was right, Internet really is somewhat of a bad thing. Books keep us concentrated, more Yes, it takes us away from our custom learning and makes us dumb with it's "distractions", but every light casts a shadow, there are good stuff that the internet gives us too ya' know? Like mails, entertainments, and more- it makes our life a little easier. Yeah, what else, oh yeah, let us use the technology wisely my young Jedi... wisely.

Random Video of the day



Forget College! I wanna be a Pokemon Master!

Citation:

No comments:

Post a Comment